Germany is historically one of the most important countries in our benchmark analysis. So we were a bit disappointed to see that the slight reversal trend back to PDF and JPG continued. Comparing this year´s data with the one of 2007 shows that especially companies which used to provide PDF only changed their way of reporting and offer their report as a JPG show now. In 2007 25% of all DAX reports were PDF only, this year there are 18,8% left whereas the stake of JPG shows rose from 15% back up to 26,3%. Another very interesting fact is that the count of companies offering an HTML version is nearly steady [43 in 2009, 42 in 2010], whereas the stake of Hybrid-reports [included in HTML in the graph below] fell from 6,3 % to 2,5%. This means that JPG shows win especially at the cost of PDF and Hybrid reports.
- PDF – nothing else than the PDF file of the report can be downloaded [2010: 18,8%]
- JPG show – a 1:1 copy of the printed report pages are converted into JPG/images offering a flip through this image gallery [2010: 26,3%]
- Hybrid HTML – parts of the report are converted into HTML, others (eg Notes) are included just as PDF download [2010: 2,5%] -> included in HTML curve above!
- HTML – the content of the report is converted into HTML [2010: 52,5 %]
I guess the main reason of this development is budget. The financial crisis has left its marks in the budgets of many companies. The conversion rate of HTML reports in the DAX-30 companies is with 76,7% still very high, only Beiersdorf and Infineon changed its way to reporting and offer a JPG show now comparing to a full HTML report (Beiersdorf) or a Hybrid report (Infineon) last year.The quality of the HTML reports of DAX-80 companies is high as usual. Therefore I would like to draw your attention to three brilliant full HTML reports.
- BASF: Very innovative report including “Listen to the report” function, search function with popular terms, sophisticated download manager and CEO video; http://www.report.basf.com/2009
- Adidas: Mediacenter, Create personal report with commentary function, interactive landing page flash; http://adidas-group.corporate-publications.com/2009/gb/en
- Volkswagen: Video and tag cloud on landing page, separate magazine, extensive download manager; http://annualreport2009.volkswagenag.com
[Disclaimer: BASF and Volkswagen are nexxar clients!]
PS: Comparing the German data with the Swiss ones shows an opposed development. In Switzerland the stake of HTML reports is unchanged low [10,4%] comparing with 2009, but PDF conversions gain significantly at the cost of JPG shows. In 2010 60,4 % of all reports are PDF only [2009: 54,2%] whereas JPG shows declines from a 35,4 % stake to 29,2 %.